Self-Guided Independent Packages
For those of you who wish to travel independently, these packages offer the perfect way to explore Japan. Whether you customize one of our pre-defined itineraries or create your own itinerary from scratch, our Self Guided Independent Packages include detailed, easy-to-follow directions allowing you to navigate Japan on your own like a local. Working closely with you, we will help make your dream Japan holiday become a reality. We can cater to any budget or any special interests. Select from the available sightseeing and Optional Cultural Activities to round out your tour. A little structure with a lot of flexibility may be the perfect combination for you!
How does it work?
These packages are designed to take all the time and worry out of planning your trip so you can concentrate on getting the very most out of your trip to Japan and your travel investment. We'll organize all your accommodations and transportation, and meet you upon arrival at the airport. You'll have the full back up of our English-speaking office staff in Japan to make sure every aspect of your trip goes according to plan. All of our itineraries also include private guiding from a licensed, English-speaking guide on your first full day in Japan. These reassuring services will help introduce you to Japan and give you extra confidence for traveling the country independently.
Choose the type of accommodations that are right for you
In each city, choose between Budget, Standard and Luxury hotels or ryokans. You can save some money and stay in Budget accommodations in one city, and then splurge on a Luxury hotel or ryokan in another city. You decide what is best for you and your budget.
Inclusions (See the specific package for details.)
- Detailed, easy-to-follow directions on how to travel between cities
- Bi-lingual maps, addresses and phone numbers for all your lodging
- Appropriate JR Rail Pass for the tour
- English-speaking emergency contact number in Japan
- Meeting service at the airport
- Airport transfers
- 8 Hours of Guiding Service from a licensed, English-speaking guide
- Recommended sightseeing options for each city
- Lodging each night
- Suggested train schedules
- Breakfast every day
- A copy of our "Gaijin on Getas" tour handbook (this is the same popular handbook our escorted tour members receive) which contains 150 pages of Japan travel tips, Japanese language tips, Japanese customs and etiquette and Japanese history to prepare you properly for your trip and allow you to enjoy Japan even more after you arrive.
- Baggage transfer
What's Not Included
- Local transportation (subways, buses, taxis, etc.)
- All admission fees
- Lunches and dinners (except where noted)
- Step 1 - Contact us with your preferences and interests for your trip to Japan.
- Step 2 - Working with you, we will develop an itinerary for your trip. This may take a little time as there may be a number of iterations necessary to reach the desired itinerary.
- Step 3 - Once the itinerary has been decided, we will send you a copy of the final itinerary, inclusions, suggested lodging based on your preferences and pricing based on the suggested lodging.
- Step 4 - You will have the chance to approve or disapprove the itinerary, inclusions, suggested lodging and pricing. If approved, the process will continue to Step 5. If not approved, we will adjust the itinerary, inclusions, lodging and pricing based on your feedback and repeat Step 3.
- Step 5 - We will attempt to make reservations at the suggested lodging. If the suggested lodging is not available, we will make reservations at a property similar in price and quality to the suggested property. However, we may need to make an adjustment in the pricing.
- Step 6 - We will re-submit the itinerary, inclusions, accommodations and pricing that includes the actual reservations.
- Step 7 - You will have a chance to approve or disapprove the itinerary, inclusions, accommodations and pricing. If approved, the process will proceed to Step 8. If not approved, we will adjust the itinerary, inclusions, lodging and pricing based on your feedback and repeat Step 6.
- Step 8 - A $100 non-refundable deposit will be required to keep your reservations.
- Step 9 - Full payment is due 45 days prior to the start of the trip.
- Step 10 - We will send out all inclusions about 21 days prior to the start of the trip.
- Step 11 - Enjoy your trip to Japan!